Gangtok is the capital of Sikkim and also the largest town and centre of Sikkim's tourist industry. You can connect to Gangtok via rail from the nearest railway station New Jalpaiguri in Siliguri, approximately 124km away. The closest airport is Bagdogra Airport, in Siliguri. Taxis are available within Gangtok to travel anytime.
While Gantok has the usual five seasons - summer, monsoons, autumn, winter and spring- it has a mild temperate throughout the year.
The traditional food of Gangtok is momos (steamed dumplings), which are the most popular and are easily available in Gangtok in roadside stalls and restaurants. Another popular cuisine is Thukpa, which is a Tibetan-style noodle mixed in soup, and flavoured with vegetables.
Tsongmo Lake Tsongmo Lake is a glacial lake in the East of Sikkim, which is 40 km from Gangtok. Tsomgo Lake is also known as Changu Lake. The name Tsomgo means 'Source of water'. It's located on the Gangtok-Nathula highway.
- Nathu La: Nathu La is a mountain pass in the Himalayas and is one of the three open trading border posts between China and India.
- Rumtek Monastery: also known as the Dharmachakra Centre, is an important Buddhist site.
- Hanuman Tok: is a Hindu temple complex. The temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman, and maintained by the Indian army.
- Namgyal Institute of Tibetology: is a Tibetan museum. The institute employs researchers and works on project which seeks to document the social history of Sikkim's 50 + monasteries and also keeps a collection of old photographs of Sikkim.
- Pemayangtse Monastery: The Pemayangtse Monastery is a Buddhist monastery located near Pellingin west of Gangtok. The monastery is for "pure monks" and it is still revered. Only the monks of Pemayangtse Monastery are permitted the title of "ta-tshang".
River Rafting on Teesta, Yak-riding at Tsomogo Lake and last but not the least White Water Rafting are highly popular Entertainment Activities in Gangtok among tourists.
Tourists enjoy clubbing, dining and live bands in restaurants and clubs along with musical events.
Create your own tours, ask experts for assistance...